Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Labor Day

So last Monday, December 1st was our scheduled induction day...2 days after my due date which was November 29th. David and I got up at 4am to get ready to leave for the hospital. Davids mom stayed at the house to keep Maddox while we were in the hospital. We got there around 5 am and they immediately began hooking me up to all the machines.

I first took a pill to help get things going, then they broke my water, and then started me on petocin (sp?). I think it was around 11am when I decided I was ready for the epidural. I was having TONS of back pain and it seemed my contractions were getting regular. I was so scared to wait to long to get it, I've had friends who made that mistake and then it was too late. After the anesthesiologist gave me the epidural I told him I hoped I hadn't gotten it to early. He said not to worry, the worst case scenario is when people get it too early, it wears off, and then they need a c section. Otherwise, it would be fine.

So, as the day progressed I NEVER made it past a 3. Every time they would check me it would still be a 3. At 5pm when they checked me and said it was still a 3 I knew something was up. I asked if there was a chance this wasn't going to happen on its own, would I need a c section...when the nurse didn't immediately say no, I just knew it was going to happen!

At 7 pm my epidural was pretty much GONE. I was in so much pain, crying out of control! They came in and said that Dr. Sarver was on her way and I would be getting a c section, I was just devastated. I have a one year old, I just didn't know how I could go home and take care of him after this! They also took me off the petocin which quickly helped with the contraction pain. Thank God!

The next dr. came in to give me a spinal (I think that's what she called it). Of course, my anesthesiologist words were replaying in my mind about the worst case scenario. I knew I had gotten the epidural too early, it wore off, and now a c section. When they took me to the operating room I got all hooked up and they put up the curtain so I couldn't see what was going on down there. I felt the dr. pinch my stomach in 3 places, I told her I felt it. Then I felt her rubbing my belly and pinch me again. I told her I was feeling everything she was doing. They next thing I knew, they told me I was going to have to go completely under, the spinal wasn't working since I had been on an epidural all day. They put the mask on my face, I got really hot, and the next thing I knew I woke up in a different room with two nurses walking around.

I could barely get words out to ask them if I had the baby. They told me yes. I was so scared something went wrong, was he okay? They reassured me he was fine, told me his weight, time he was born, which was 8:22 pm. The clock now read 9:30. Then I asked was my husband there when he was born, they told me he was not aloud back there, but that he was with the baby now. I was kept in that room till around 10, then they finally wheeled me to my room where my mom, sister, David, and little angel baby Cruz where waiting on me.

I must say Northwest Medicals staff was amazing and so nice. I actually had the SAME nurses as I had with Maddox! I felt like I was in good hands since we had been with them before.

Cruz is now a week and one day old. I am feeling better every day, but I must say the first few days at home were tough. Getting in and out of bed was the hardest. Our bed is so high, I missed my hospital bed with all the controls!

I still cannot pick up Maddox, which has been the hardest thing! It breaks my heart when he comes to me with his arms up and I can't hold him! However, I now let him sit in my lap on the couch, which makes me so happy! I also can't drive for another week. David has taken off work and been such a help! He is in charge of Maddox and I do the baby. We are such a team!

I have lots of pics...but Blogger is being SOOOOOOOOOO annoying tonight! Not letting me upload pics....I'll try again tomorrow, so check back with me:)!


Rachel said...

Oh Amy!! I am so glad that you are going good now, but I was sooooo feeling for you throughout the whole post!! Cruz is an angel baby and I am so glad he is here. Maddox is going to love his little brother and you are going to have the the sweetest little family! That is great that David is helping you out. Get some rest, before you know it, that baby will be moving all over the place =)...

BTW - My IUD was removed today, we are officially trying for #3...I have lost my mind...especially after reading this post =)....

Amanda (McNeely) Vestal said...

How AWFUL. I am so glad you are feeling better now.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted an update! I've been checking back regularly. I understand about the petocin - powerful stuff! I was induced with #3 - really, really not fun.

I'm glad you're feeling better and hubby is able to take some time off from work. I'll look forward to seeing some pics!

Michelle said...

Amy, I am so sorry it was so rough for you! I am glad that you are home and everyone is doing well. It is such a blessing to have a great husband at home. Get lots of good rest! Can't wait to see pictures!

Bridget said...

I am glad you are okay! I never had the Spinal not work (but I didnt have an epidural either) my fear was having to go under and waking up not knowing what was going on. Sounds like David is being a great help!
Hope to see you soon

Alissa said...

Ok I expected a little drama with a csection, but come on! Poor Amy, I am SO glad that you are feeling better and again that you are both doing great. I hope that you are adjusting to life at home well with your cutie pies.
I enjoyed all of the new pics. Maddox looks like a pro already! It sounds like Cruz will know where his eyes are in no time-HA! I have been anxiously awaiting an update, I almost didn't make it :). Enjoy your wonderful family and I am already ready for the next update!!!